Sunday, January 11, 2015

Defining Acting, Defying Roles: Daniel Day-Lewis & Manoj Bajpai


Raja Mehdi Ali Khan (1928-1996), translated from the Hindi-Urdu by Manfred Spencer Alverston & Associates

The underhanded attain advancements egregiously

As character in close proximity gets kicked around

O’Lord, why such an inordinate axis for the virtuous?

O’Lord, how can I reason for their dignity here and now, the susceptible? 

O’Lord, I want to write a letter but am left wanting an address

O’Lord, I want to write a letter but am left wanting an address

With repentance, I would report the world’s misfortunes already shelved and awaiting deliberation when I’m finished and ontowards the afterlife

But am left wanting an address

O’Lord, I want to write a letter

I must disclose that which will perhaps distract

But I am not attracted to that which seems contract

Cannot disclose publicly, but I think there will never be a shortage of the troublesome

O’Lord, I would deliberate further if not left wanting an address

O’Lord, I want to write a letter but am left wanting an address

Resting upon my head is a bale of misery wanting expression

Throughout sleepless nights I remain awake for fear of waking up my neighbors

Therefore I only whimper

I would have wept before Thee, if not wanting an address

If I say anything, I am sassily told to stop shedding tears and quit such grandiloquence, to stop this loquacity

O’Lord, do not invalidate me in such a world as this!


Raja Mehdi Ali Khan (1928-1996), translated from the Hindi-Urdu by Manfred Spencer Alverston & Associates


No comments:

Post a Comment