Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day 2014: Wishing you joy and happiness with a lot of love and prayers throughout the year...


“Creator Of This Universe!”
Look at my face,
Today, on my lips, what a beautiful smile!
Today, in my eyes, what a sparkle!
Looking at my smile, what came to your mind?
In my brimming eyes, did you see anything?
About this beautiful moment,
You must have known!
And the magnificence of this occasion,
You must have believed in!
Yes!
You guessed right!
Yes!
Today, I have delivered a life!

Parveen Shakir (24 November 1952 - 26 December 1994)

Translated from the Urdu by M.S. Alverston, 03/01/11.


 



“The Remainder of the Journey”
“It’s too cold, Mama!
Just for a little while longer,
Don’t let go of my hand!”
[Mom’s Thinking]:
Shivering in the winterish winds
Embracing me, you were saying…
Not too many days have elapsed
That the warmth of my lap
Gave you comfort,
With arms around my neck,
You were fast asleep,
And I slept on one side of my body
With you beside me as a babe,
Afraid to interrupt your sleep!
Holding the hem of my dress,
Strolling about the house,
Just like a butterfly!
But soon again,
You received an invitation from
The birds, flowers, and your friends
To be with them!
After accompanying them,
You released my finger
And embraced the beautiful
Garden of life and blended in
Like a fragrance!
Afterwards, holding your satchel
Full of dreams, you went to school
Where colors, words, numbers,
And games awaited you and
Charmed your heart!
Your teachers were more reliable,
And your friends were more charming
Than I!
I know that I have been left
Far behind your journey!
For the rest of my journeying,
I have to back away.
In your precious world,
New people will be joining you everyday.
And, very quietly, I will be vacating
Spaces for them.
Your face keeps on glowing with
The elegance of age.
I am fading in the background.
Not many days will pass
When the mild warmth of my hands
Will become memory.
And the elegant feeling,
Of a delicate hand holding yours,
Will blossom!
My heart will part with you.
And for the remainder of my life,
I promise to keep looking in your direction.
I am a mother,
And it is my fate to embrace
These brilliant transformations!

Parveen Shakir (24 November 1952 - 26 December 1994)
Translated from the Urdu by M.S. Alverston, 03/01/11.


No comments:

Post a Comment