Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Je Suis Charlie Baudelaire & Nouvelles Fleurs Du Mal & the flowers of innocence


Gulzar’s Ek Tha Bachpan

Gulzar translated from the Hindi by Manfred Spencer Alverston & Associates

“Once there was Childhood”

A fleeting fellowship midst childhood

Once there was a childhood

In that childhood there was a forbearer

An exceptional, authentic father

Amidst us there existed a very beautiful bond

Once when there was childhood.

When flowers adorning distant branches called me forth

My hands unable to reach a single sapling supplement

He would pick me up, enabling these two palms, tiny then

To shake hands with the blooms of trees way back when

Once when there was childhood.

Walking, walking, walking, walking on those paths

In the present-day

Don’t know when Father alighted on the embrace of my childhood

Those flowers remain locked inside my closed fists, desiccated

He remains imprisoned within that grasp of desiccated flowers

The fragrance of my life then, my father is my ambition to live now

His voice still echoes in resonance from my lips

And the faith of his return upon my breath

Don’t know upon which turn we will meet

He will inquire into whether I still remember my childhood

He will ask me, “Do you still possess a perception of childhood?”


Gulzar translated from the Hindi by Manfred Spencer Alverston & Associates




No comments:

Post a Comment